The professional staff at Somerby Golf Club has established a golf program for junior golfers designed to target all aspects of the game of golf. Our focus is to teach the fundamentals of golf, basic rules of the game, and etiquette that accompany the game. Through fundamental movement skills, contests and games, we will create a fun and social learning environment for all juniors to enjoy.
The Birdies Junior Series is designed to introduce kids ages 4-7 to the game of golf, piquing their interest and growing their love for the game through kid-friendly games. These sessions include foundational golf instruction, play and fun, and a dynamic environment that connects with this age group's popular culture.
Over the course of the Eagles Junior Series, boys and girls ages 8-12 will be challenged to improve on their current skill level. Instruction will begin as foundational and then move on to more advanced concepts, in accordance with the skill levels of our participants. Engaging activities and drills will serve to build both competitiveness and improve golf abilities.
- Ages: 8-12
- Members: $80
- Non-Members: $100
- Dates: Thursdays (June 13, 20, 27, July 11)
- Time: 10:15-11:15am
Birdies and Eagles
The Birdies and Eagles combine for a fun, engaging series focused on building golf skills and competencies and preparing juniors for golf on the course. Some experience (either through June series or individual practice) recommended.
- Members: $80
- Non-Members: $100
- Dates: Tuesdays and Thursdays (July 16, 18, 23, 25)
- Time: 11am-12pm
During the Aces Junior Series, participants will focus on the competencies necessary for adult social and competitive golf. Topics covered will include comprehensive game instruction, rules and etiquette, and golf course management.
- Ages: 13-17
- Members: $100
- Non-Members: $120
- Session 1:
- Thursdays and Fridays (June 13, 14, 20, 21)
- Session 2:
- Tuesdays and Thursdays (July 16, 18, 23, 25)
INSTRUCTORKatie Detlefsen, LPGA Certified Teaching Professional
Teaching Philosophy: I believe in student-centered instruction and coaching for players of all ages. Whether your goal is to compete at the highest level in tournament competition or to have more fun playing once a month, together we can develop an improvement strategy to help you find YOUR perfect golf swing and get the most out of your game.
- Hometown: Eagan, MN
- High School: Minnehaha Academy
- College: Full Division I Golf Scholarship to University of Central Florida
- Graduated Summa Cum Laude with a 4.0 GPA
- Academic All-American
- B.A. Advertising & Public Relations
- M.A. Mass Communications
- Co-Director LPGA-USGA Girls Golf Club of Lakeville, MN
- Seasonal Assistant Golf Professional at Raptor Bay Golf Club in Bonita Springs, FL
- Academy Instructor at the Rick Smith Golf Academy at Raptor Bay
- Studied under Henri Reis & Kai Fusser, Annika Sorenstam’s longtime swing & fitness coaches
- Featured Instructor on Golf Channel’s School of Golf and The Golf Fix
- Experience competing on the LPGA and Canadian Women’s Tours
- More than 7 years experience with industry leading Trackman radar technology
- Experience coaching at the D1 college level
- Minnesota’s first individual four time State High School League Champion
- Set 18 and 36 hole scoring records at MSHSL State Tournament
- Awarded the LPGA’s Dinah Shore Trophy in 2010 for best combined scoring average, GPA & Commitment to Community Service among Division I golfers
- Tapemark Charity Pro-Am Runner-Up 2012
- Top 10 LPGA Teaching & Club Professionals National Championship, 2012
- Top 20 Professional CN Canadian Women’s Tour Niagara, 2012